New school years are exciting! Everything is fresh and new. The possibilities are endless. As exciting as that all can be, it can be equally overwhelming. Not sure about you, but I can be my own worst enemy especially when I second guess myself and doubt creeps in.
This year, instead of feeling like you have to figure it all out on your own, instead of feeling like you are the only one that isn't excelling, instead of thinking that it's just you, I challenge you to pause, take a deep breath, and know this...
Instead of feeling like you have to figure it all out...
There is a wealth of knowledge in this building. There are innovative ideas from staff that are recent graduates. There are new takes from our colleagues that have joined us from other campuses. Not to mention, there are tried and tested stategies from our veteran teachers that have honed their skills over many years of practice. And not to be forgotten, our teacher aids and admin staff bring an unparalleled amount of experience with them. Utilize them all. Tap into these resources. Stop reinventing the wheel.
Instead of feeling like you are the only one that isn't excelling...
First, know that mistakes/failure/errors, they are ALL a part of the learning process. I know we tell our students this all the time, but it's time we start taking our own advice. We have to give ourselves grace when our lessons don't go according to plan. In fact, I would be down right gobsmacked if all your lessons were "home runs". We have to model for our students what productive struggle looks like and how to ask for help when needed, as this is a lifelong skill. Just because we are the teachers doesn’t mean that we are exempt from this.
Instead of feeling like it's just you...
When you're in the thick of your feelings, it's easy to feel like it's just you. It's easy to feel like no one else is having as bad of a day as you or their class isn't as hard as yours. However, I promise it's not just you. I promise you are not the only one questioning themselves. You are not the only one struggling. We're all going through it. I would implore you on the days that it feels like you're in this alone, reach out. Reach out to the colleague next door. Reach out to the veteran teacher down the hall. Reach out to the admin team. We're better together!

No comments:
Post a Comment