Monday, September 14, 2026

Mindful Monday: Lost in Translation

Don Epps made this analogy. Windchill measures how cold it "feels", not the actual temperature found on a thermometer. Communication can be thought of similarly. What was intended in an email or text (the actual temp) isn't always the same as how someone might feel about it (the windchill).

Words are powerful. And when emailed or texted, we lose most control on how they are received and interpreted. Tone and facial expressions speak volumes, generally in our favor. (Although, I admit, I have to tell my face to be quiet sometimes.) While texting or emailing has become our default, a ton is lost in translation.

I strongly encourage you to consider picking up the phone next time, whether it be to a parent, or a loved one. Walk down the hall and have a face-to-face interaction instead of a quick text or email. Make those connections in a personal way that doesn't allow your message to be lost in translation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mindful Monday: Lost in Translation

Don Epps made this analogy. Windchill measures how cold it "feels", not the actual temperature found on a thermometer. Communicati...